Get a quote in minutes.
Fill in our online form or call 0330 102 5740

Welcome to UIS Pet Insurance

UIS Pet Insurance is arranged and administered by Ultimate Pet Partners Limited who is an Appointed Representative of Ultimate Insurance Solutions Limited. Policies are underwritten by Ultimate Insurance Company Limited.

Pet Insurance Explained

Your pet insurance could help protect against costly vet bills that your pet may incur. At UIS Pet Insurance we are here to help you through these difficult times.

We offer different policies to suit you and your pet's requirements. Our 12-month policies protect against high initial costs of treatment after an illness/injury. More information.

Why Do I Need Pet Insurance?

Each year 1 in 3 pets are injured or become ill and need urgent veterinary treatment*. The cost of this treatment is rising due to medical advances in pet health, which is good for your pet but a concern for you. We can help you cover the cost of these unexpected bills leaving you free to concentrate on helping an important member of your family recover.

* ABI statistics 2011


Choose UIS Pet Insurance because...

  • We have a team of veterinary nurses assessing your claim who understand your pet’s illness or accident
  • Our Customer Service team are UK-based
  • We offer a 5-day turn around for your claim
  • You can make a claim online on the website and track its progress
  • You can download the required paperwork so your vet can validate your claim
  • We are here to help when you need it most

The Vet Nurse's Blog

March 2015 - Chocolate and Pets

It's that time of year again! The Easter eggs are already back in the shops and we have only just had Christmas. Easter is a time where there is a lot of chocolate, decorative wrappers and cardboard boxes which are all brightly coloured and look attractive to your pet. Now we all know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs but do you know how much they have to eat in order for it to be classed as poisonous?

If you have a large dog they will need to eat a lot of milk chocolate in order for it to produce toxic effects. This is because in milk chocolate the level of the toxic substance Theobromine is quite low but for a smaller dog it could be quite toxic. The general rule of thumb is the darker the chocolate the higher the level of Theobromine and dried cocoa powder and cooking chocolate tend to contain the higher levels. On average it only takes 100-250mg of Theobromine per kilo of your pets body weight.

If you think your dog has eaten some chocolate and are worried about your pet is a good idea to call your veterinary surgery, try to have details of what and how much chocolate your pet has eaten so they can ascertain if the level is toxic to your pet. Usually the first signs of chocolate toxicity are severe hyperactivity followed by vomiting and diarrhoea. If left untreated it can cause muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding seizures or heart attack.

If caught early enough your vet may want to induce vomiting to lessen any effect the chocolate may have. This can only be done within 2 hours of ingestion as after this the chocolate will be too far into the digestive tract for vomiting to work. There is no antidote to Theobromine poisoning so if inducing to vomit is not an option and your pet is showing the more severe signs then your vet will do supportive treatment until the substance is out of your pets system. If the toxicity is very high and the symptoms severe it can cause death.

It is not just the chocolate that causes problems but the wrappers and boxes that tend to get chewed and swallowed with the chocolate may get stuck within the digestive tract. This will require a surgical operation to remove the blockage if your pet cannot pass them naturally and this can be quite costly.

The best way is to prevent your pet from eating any chocolate. Keep Easter eggs out of reach of your pets or away in cupboards and if you think your pet has eaten anything they shouldn't have then contact your vet immediately.

More from the vet nurse